|Sunset - Looking West from Fare on Huahine|
Latitude: 16 49.061 S
Longitude: 151 24.957 W
After looking at the Grib files and the weather forecast, we decided to leave Huahine on Friday and make our way across the channel to Raiatea. The forecast for Saturday and Sunday called for high winds, 12 foot seas and rain. Friday, although many superstitious sailors would refuse to take leave on this day, was the only reasonable window until the middle of next week. Our other choice was to stay put in Huahine.
Unfortunately, the Fare anchorage is beneath a mountain that Russ named Rainmaker. Fare anchorage can be quite gusty even in good weather. We couldn't imagine what it would be like in the predicted high winds, so we came across the channel.
|Waves break to the side of us as we came through Irihu Passe|
We could have moved to a more quite anchorage, but we heard on the radio about how crowded this anchorage is. There are thankfully only a few boats here, so we don't have to worry about anyone dragging down on us.
Today, while securely anchored despite the high winds and fetch coming down the mouth of the bay, we have been listening to an audio book, Timeline by Michael Crichton, while working on projects. The sun has now gone down and it is relatively quiet. The worst of the weather is supposed to pass through late tonight and tomorrow morning then gradually abate through Tuesday or Wednesday.
There is no Internet in this bay, Drat! If you wish to contact us, please use our sailmail address and we will download by radio. In the meantime, we are reading, listening to books, splicing lines, working on projects, and just relaxing. I've actually been reading about and playing with photoshop.
All is well on Worrall Wind.